Saving energy in 2015 probably hasn’t crossed your mind for a New Year’s resolution, but ways to save money may have. What better way to save money than by saving energy, plus you’ll be helping the environment too!
Simple Tips for Saving:
1) Get a Heating & Air conditioning system tune-up with a reputable company like Peck Heating & Air Conditioning. This can reduce your cost by 5% per year.
2) Replace your heating and air filters monthly. This will help your unit run more efficiently, keep the air in your home clean, and save you money! Mark it on your calendar to help you remember.
3) Take a look at the energy efficiency of your appliances and equipment. Replace older ones with ENERGY STAR rated products. They are much more efficient and can save you money. Assess the efficiency of your home by visiting energystar.gov.
4) Switch to lighting that is energy efficient. Switch to CFL or LED Light Bulbs which can be 75% to 85% more efficient than incandescent bulbs. They also last longer.
5) Unplug electronics when not in use! Keeping computers, chargers, and small appliances plugged in can really run up your bill!
6) Laundry Savings; Wash your clothes in cold water, and keep your dryer vent and lint filter clean. Not only will it save you money, but will also keep your dryer from being a fire hazard. And to cut down on the use of your dryer, air dry if possible!
7) Turn It Down; Reduce your hot water usage by turning down your hot water heater to 120ºF. Also, turn down your thermostat…and if you can’t remember to turn it down, install a programmable thermostat. Great way for saving energy in 2015!
8) Conserve Water; Instead of baths, take quick showers. And, install aerated faucets and low-flow shower heads. Also, if you have a dishwasher, only run when it’s full.
9) Check for Leaks; According to the U.S. Department of Energy, small leaks can affect your home efficiency by 5% to 30% every year. Pay attention to where different building materials meet… around the edges of windows, corners, around your chimney and even where pipes and wires lead outside. Here’s a simple test; Turn off any air moving appliances (fans etc), light a stick of incense and move it along walls, near windows and doors; wherever you see the smoke from the incense waver, you have air getting in and heating and cooling leaking out.
10) Turn out the lights! Remind everyone in the family to do so when leaving a room!
Your New Year’s resolution of saving energy in 2015 can done just by following these simple tips!
From All of Us at Peck Heating & Air Conditioning…
We Wish You All a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year!